The main reason behind smelly scalp is overgrowth of microorganisms on the scalp’s skin. A large number of people think that this scalp odor is due to not maintaining proper cleanliness and hygiene. Another common cause is not maintaining a good hair shampooing routine. However, smelly scalp problem can also caused by many other reasons other than hygiene and shampooing. Here are some more causes of having a smelly scalp.
Stinky Scalp Causes
- overproduction of oil from the sebaceous glands.
- excessive production of sweat
- accumulation of dirt and dust on the skin of the head
- build up of bacteria and fungus (tinea capitis)
How to Get Rid of Smelly Scalp
One of the best and the simple ways to treat this problem is to wash your regularly with a mild medicated shampoo. If you have an oily scalp then try to choose product which is specifically meant of oily scalp. Also, go for sulfur or salicylic based products. These products help remove bacteria, excess oil and dead skin cells. If none of this product works then take the help of a dermatologist. Aside from these medicated products, you can also make use of natural products to treat your problem naturally. Here are some home remedies for you.
Smelly Scalp Home Remedies
- Dilute apple cider vinegar with water and apply it on your scalp to get rid of excess sebum and microorganisms.
- Juice of onion is loaded with sulfur and you know that sulfur is an anti-bacterial agent. Just apply it on your scalp and leave on for about 20 minutes. After that, wash your head with lukewarm water.
- A mixture of lemon juice and yogurt is also said to be beneficial in the home treatment of smelly scalp. Apply it and keep it on for about half an hour and then wash your head thoroughly.
- Use of lavender and olive oil is also an effective remedy for this problem. Just apply it on your scalp for overnight and the next morning shampoo your hair as usual.
- Application of tea tree oil or neem oil can also help you treat smelly scalp and other scalp related problems.
- Application of crushed garlic helps kill microorganism.
- Massage your scalp with jojoba oil and leave it on for about 45 minutes and then shampoo your hair and scalp.
The above given tips on how to get rid of stinky scalp naturally are highly effective and safe. So you can use them freely but if you notice any sign of sever infection then consult it with a dermatologist.