Side Effects and Health Benefits of Drinking Horehound Tea
Horehound or marrubium is an aromatic herb of mint family. People love this herb because of its medicinal properties and it is a favorite herb for those who are suffering from respiratory problems. Extract of this herb can be used to prepare tea, candies and cough syrups. Horehound herb is known for its anti-microbial, anti-spasmodic, diuretic and expectorant properties. Thus, regular intake of its tea can help cure various health related ailments. It is loaded with flavonoids, tannins and marrubium. These compounds are beneficial in dealing with both respiratory and digestive discomfort. Read on to know more about the health benefits and side effects of drinking horehound tea.
Horehound Tea Health Benefits
Healthy Digestive System
Horehound is blessed with compounds that aid in digestion. Tea prepared with this herb can help improve your appetite. This tea can also be used to counter problems like upset stomach, bloating and gas. Just drink a cup full of this tea half an hour before your meal. You can add little honey to make it tasty.
Tea of this herb can also be used to relieve discomfort caused due to the cough. It is also beneficial in treating the symptoms of asthma, bronchitis, tuberculosis and other lungs related problems.
This herb also contains anti-septic properties. So, make a tea from its leaves, cool it and use it to wash the affected site. This wash will speed up the natural healing process.
Other Health Benefits
- It is useful in alleviating cramps during period.
- It is also beneficial in the cure of sinus related headaches.
- It has mild laxative effects.
- Regular intake of this tea may also help lower blood-sugar levels.
- It is also helpful in lowering high cholesterol.
How to Make Horehound Tea
Gather These Ingredients:
- One teaspoon of dried leaves
- A cup full of boiling water
- Honey and Lemon Juice
First of all, boil one cup of water and once it start to boils remove it from the heat and put leaves in it and allow them to steep for 10 minutes. Now, strain the liquid and add little honey and lemon juice to it.
Side Effects of Horehound Tea
It is essential to know the side effects of marrubium leaves tea before consuming it. One cup tea can do wonders for you health while on the other hand excessive intake can cause serious adverse effects. Few of them are listed below.
- Irregular heartbeats
- Acidity or heartburn
- Avoid it if you have a problem of peptic ulcers.
- Some people also experience symptoms like fatigue, dry mouth, skin rashes, pupil dilation etc.
- Do not use it if you are a kid, pregnant or lactating woman, taking blood pressure medication, suffering from any cardiac issue.
These were some side effects and health benefits of drinking horehound tea. You should always consult with your physician before using this herb for any ailment.