Health Benefits of Pandan
Pandan (Pandanus tectorius) also famous as fragrant screw pine is well known for its medicinal values. Some people use it for culinary purpose, while other rely on it strong medicinal properties. Leaves, bark, flowers and root of this plant offers several health benefits. Presence of essential oils, tannins, alkaloids and glycosides make it an ideal herb for the treatment of several health related concerns. It is useful in curing various types of pains and headaches. Moreover, it is packed with antiseptic and antibacterial properties. Its bark and leaves are widely used to address various skin related conditions including small pox and leprosy. Given below are some health benefits of using pandan leaves, bark, flowers and root.
Health Benefits of Pandan
- Bitter leaves of this plant can be used to prevent and cure problems like ulcers, diabetes and wounds.
- You can also use the juice of its root and other ingredients to prepare your own home remedy for chest pain.
- Pandan also contains anti-cancerous properties.
- It also has antipyretic properties that helps reduce fever.
- Screw pine leaves can also help prevent, soothe and heal various skin related issues like irritations, burns and infections. A poultice made by crushing screw pine leaves can help treat eruptions and boils. Moreover, you can use these leaves to eliminate various hair and scalp issues like dandruff, discolored hair, itchy scalp, scalp infections etc.
- Chew a leaf daily to keep bad breath, gum problems and mouth pain at bay.
- Male flowers of this plant can be used to remedy ear pain, headaches and abdominal spasms.
- People also use extracted oils and juices of screw pine to relieve headaches and pain caused due to arthritis.
- A tea prepared by brewing pandan leaves and lemon grass is said to be beneficial for treating cramps and weakness after child birth.
- Pandan leaf tea is an effective recipe for lowering blood sugar and blood pressure. Plus, it also helps improve heart and kidney functions.
- Drinking a decoction of pandan leaves is beneficial for calming the nerves, cooling the body and balancing the blood pH. Where as, decoction of root is believed to relive prostrate related issues.
There are many ways to get the above listed health benefits of pandan like use it while preparing your food, use it in the form of a tea or use pandan based supplements. Its leaves are also known for their cockroach-repellent effects. As it is natural and non toxic hence it won’t cause any harm to your health. Lastly, consult with herbal medicine practitioner or your doctor before using this herb for treating health related concerns.