Health Benefits of Ajwain (carom seeds)
Use of ajwain or carom seeds also known as bishop’s weed, is very common in culinary purpose. These small seeds are laden with anti-inflammatory, anti septic, expectorant, antispasmodic, diuretic, carminative effects and hence they are beneficial in curing digestion, respiratory system, urinary system and several other health related problems. There are many health benefits of using these small seeds, few of them are given below.
Health Benefits of Ajwain
You can use carom seeds to relive discomfort caused due to various digestion related issues such as gas, bloating, flatulence, diarrhea, cholera etc. More over, these seeds are also helpful in relieving problems like worm infestation, spleen disorders, liver problems, inflamed stomach etc. Here are some remedies that you can use to achieve a better digestive health.
- To get rid of abdominal pain due to upset stomach, just put a teaspoon of ajwain and a little black salt in a glass of warm water and have it.
- If the main problem is diarrhea then make a powder of five gram of roasted carom, two grams of black pepper and little black salt. Now, put this powder in yogurt and drink it.
- Drinking a mixture of carom, ginger powder and black salt with water is a good remedy for stomach gas, bleaching, colic pain and upset stomach.
- Flatulence, poor appetite and various other stomach issues can be easily cured with ajwain. To use them, soak carom in lemon juice and keep these lemon contain foods in the sun. Mix a pinch of black salt in one teaspoon of these seeds and have it with warm water.
Carom seeds is also said to be effective in treating many respiratory disorders like asthma, pneumonia, chest congestions, bronchitis, etc. Expectorant effect of ajwain helps clear the congestion and expand the bronchial passages.
A heated mixture of ajwain and jaggery is useful in reliving some symptoms of asthma and bronchitis. Taking a mixture of ajwain and buttermilk twice daily can help remove died phlegm. Another good remedy for bronchial asthma is to roasted and powdered mix of bishop’s weed and cloves. To get an instant relief from your problem warp some carom seeds on a cotton cloth and heat this cloth in a pan and place slightly warm cloth on your chest.
Since bishop’s weed is good for digestion and metabolism hence consuming them regularly will help reduce your weight by boosting up your metabolism.
If you are having a bad toothache then you can make a remedy for it. Just boil some ajwain seeds with water and use the strain mix for gurgling. This carom water is also quite beneficial in the prevention of abdominal pain, gas, taste problems,
You can also use ajwain to get rid of earache. Microwave 1/2 teaspoon of these seeds and a tablespoon of milk. Use this mixture as ear drops.
Regular gurgling with an infusion of carom seeds, salt and water helps cure problems like acute pharyngitis, sore throat, various infections and hoarseness of speech.
Anti-parasitic properties of Bishop’s weed can be used to eliminate intestinal worms. To use it soak 25 grams of powdered seeds in half liter of water overnight. In the morning, boil this mix and when it remains quarter of its original quantity remove it from heat and strain it. Have it to get rid of those bad worms.
- A mixture of carom seeds, vinegar and honey is beneficial for people with kidney stones.
- Use of these seeds is quite beneficial for those who want to quit their habit of drinking. It can also be used to treat abdominal pain due to alcohol.
- It is also helpful in the alternative cure of vitiligo (skin white patches), psoriasis, insect bites and other skin conditions.
- A combination of some roasted seeds and milk is a well known cure for menstrual cramps.
Hope this article on health benefits of ajwain seeds will help you a lot. High dose of these seeds may also cause adverse effects like nausea, headache, slow blood clotting, gastrointestinal issues, vomiting, skin irritations etc. Also, do not use them if you have liver disease.